We invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she begins kindergarten.
The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless! Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to read 1,000 books (yes, you can repeat books!) before your child starts kindergarten.
If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in 1 year; that is 730 books in 2 years and 1,095 books in 3 years! If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started)! 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a self-paced program and has no end date except your child’s going to school. Parents and caregivers decide how often and how long you read to your child. We will provide parent literacy information as well as a log to help keep track of the books you read to your child. We now offer the convenient option to track your reading via the free 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app instead of on a paper log, if you wish. Check in at the library every 100 books and your child will move up the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten wall and receive a small prize at each 100-book milestone. At the end of the program, your child will receive a FREE book from Morley Library!
How to Get Started:
1. Register your child at the Children’s Desk at Morley Library. Pick up your registration folder to get started.
2. Start logging your books either on the paper reading log or on the easy-to-use free app (search “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” on your smart phone).
3. Bring your log (or show the Children's staff your log in the app) to Morley Library at each 100-book milestone (100 books, 200 books, etc.). We will celebrate your child’s success and hand out a small reward. Also, your child gets to move his character up the wall for every 100 books read.
4. When your child reaches 1,000 books s/he will have her picture taken and posted on the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten wall. Additionally, your child receives a FREE book from Morley Library!
5. Remember: Just read with your child and ENJOY!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate.
How long will the program take?
The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
How many of my children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
Do we have to read books from the library?
No, you can read books from anywhere. Just remember to log them on your log or via the app!
Can I count a book more than once?
You can! Record the book as many times as you read it!
Stop by the Children's Desk today for more information and to register your child for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten.